Silver Wellness Advocate Robyn Langdon teaches a fantastic class about taking care of yourself and how dōTERRA can help. This post will recap and give additional information, and you may also want to watch the recording from one of Robyn’s recent classes at the end of this post for more ideas.
What is self-care?
Self-care is meeting your own needs before or alongside meeting the needs of others. It’s filling your “bucket” so you have something to pour out and being good to your own body, mind, and spirit. Self-care is a continually active choice to engage in the activities that are required to gain or maintain an optimal level of overall health. And in this case, overall health includes not just the physical, but the psychological, emotional, social, and spiritual components of the person as well.
What are some examples of self-care?
Self-care will be different and unique for each person or personality type. A few examples include: exercise, time alone, time with friends, spa/massage or self-spa, reading a book, journaling, adult coloring books, and arts/crafts. Take a minute to think about what energizes you, relaxes you, and/or fills you up. How might that be different from or similar to other people you know?
Why is this so hard?
- Others: We have other people (maybe little ones) to care for, and we put their needs before our own much of the time.
- Busyness: We fill our schedules with way too many activities, tasks, and duties. There’s simply no more time left for caring for our own mental and physical wellbeing.
- It’s uncomfortable: Taking care of ourselves can feel awkward, and sometimes it feels selfish, too.
- It’s low on the priority list: We think we might get to it later, but other, more urgent and “important” needs keep blindsiding us.
- Pride: We worry that other people will think less of us or perceive us as selfish if we have to make time and energy for ourselves.
Don’t lose hope! dōTERRA can help!
Essential oils affect the body and mind quickly, safely, effectively, and affordably. Using them aromatically, topically, and/or internally will help you to feel your best and be ready to take on whatever comes your way.
Consider using a resource guide, a body scanner, or even the free Daily Drop App to determine which oils would be best for you on any given day or circumstance or emotion. Find your specific need and address it.
Lifelong Vitality Pack
dōTERRA’s Lifelong Vitality supplements are different from any other because they are developed with the optimal level of nutrients for our diet and they are bioavailable. This pack of three bottles are our #1 selling product and it comes with a 30-day, 100% money-back guarantee that you’ll feel more vitality and energy! Now that’s what I call risk free! Take a look at all of the benefits:
If you take these, you’ll definitely be doing your body and mind a favor!
Serenity Restful Complex helps you relax and get more restful sleep. Sleep is an important part of self-care, and if you have a hard time getting enough sleep or quality sleep, Serenity Restful Complex can help!
Mito2Max is for anyone who needs additional energy and alertness.
Phytoestrogen Lifetime Complex & Bone Nutrient Complex are two fantastic supplements for hormonal balance and bone health. Tip: These can be bought as a package deal in the Women’s Health Kit, which also comes with Clary Calm Monthly Blend for Women, making them even less expensive for you to get these great products into your home!
Deep Blue Polyphenol Complex is helpful for those who want natural pain relief and a healthy inflammatory response.
Depending on your individual needs, try adding one or more of these supplements to the Lifelong Vitality pack to feel your best every day.
For a relaxing and refreshing way to take care of yourself, spend a few minutes a week enjoying one or more of the following:
- Mani/Pedi with Exfoliating Body Scrub and Replenishing Body Butter.
- Refreshing Body Wash for bubbles in your bath, and homemade bath salts with essential oils.
- Detoxifying Mud Mask and/or Verage to pamper your face with luxury.
- Deep Blue Rub and/or AromaTouch Massage blend for shoulder massage.
- Rose Lotion to pamper your senses and your skin.
Get better sleep:
- Diffuse oils such as Lavender, Serenity, Petitgrain, Frankincense, Ylang Ylang, Balance, or Peace.
- Serenity Restful Complex is a great way to get longer, better sleep.
- Pillow Sprays can help, too – try a few drops of Frankincense and Lavender in an ounce or two of water and spray your pillow each night.
- AromaTouch Technique can promote better rest and sleep habits. Try to find someone nearby who can give you an ATT on a regular basis (possibly once a month or more).
- Apply oils topically before bed. Try: Serenity, Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Frankincense, Peace, or Cedarwood.
Try these products to help you get into and stick to a habit of exercising:
- Slim & Sassy products for energy and metabolism
- Deep Blue products for muscle repair/soreness
- Peppermint or Motivate for motivation
- TrimShake for weight loss
Choose the best exercise for your body – yoga, cardio, lifting, spinning, pilates, jogging, walking, etc.
One of the best ways to stay in the habit of self-care is to ask someone to hold you accountable. This person should ask you on a regular basis if you are taking care of yourself in all of the important ways we mentioned earlier. Without someone like this helping you, it is very easy to slip out of self-care, ignore your own body, and get too busy to take care of you. However, I’ve learned that it’s a much bigger mess to clean up if you neglect yourself so long that you fall apart completely than if you tend to yourself a little each day and week to be at your best!
The following books also support healthy self-care:
I Am Fabulous by Desiree Mangandog
Rising Strong by Brene Brown
Boundaries by John Townsend and Henry Cloud
ID: The True You by Mark Batterson
Eat the Cookie, Buy the Shoes by Joyce Meyer
Chicken Soup for the Soul books
Captivating by Stasi and John Eldredge