Many people want to know how to take care of their skin effectively without harmful chemicals or harsh products. I’ve found great success for myself and my family using dōTERRA essential oils and products to support healthy skin.
When working to maintain healthy, glowing skin, it is important to remember that our skin is our largest organ and acts as a secondary “chimney” or filtering organ for toxins into and out of our bodies. In order to enjoy healthy skin, we also need to sustain healthy digestive systems. Often we don’t realize we have an internal imbalance until we notice changes with our skin. For recurring skin issues, I recommend taking a close look at dietary deficiencies, potential allergens or irritants in the diet or environment, hormonal imbalance, and supplements that can help support the digestive system and maintain balance in the GI tract.
My top diet tips for healthy skin include supplements such as PB Assist+ and Terrazyme to help maintain good bacteria in the digestive system and add enzymes which aid the body in proper digestion of food. You should also consider reducing or eliminating processed foods, including gluten, dairy, and sugar.
Single Oils That Support Healthy Skin and Clear Complexion:
- Soothes occasional skin irritations
- Reduces appearance of skin imperfections
- Reduces the appearance of skin blemishes
- Natural skin toner
- Renowned for its cleansing and rejuvenating effect on the skin
- For occasional skin irritations, apply one to two drops of Melaleuca essential oil onto affected area
- Combine one to two drops with your facial cleanser or moisturizer for added cleansing properties
- Apply to skin after shaving
- Add to moisturizer to reduce the appearance of blemishes and to rejuvenate the skin
- Apply directly to skin or enjoy an aromatherapy steam facial to beautify skin
- Apply to skin after a shower for a smoothing effect
- Apply to the face to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and to promote a glowing, youthful complexion
- Use in conjunction with a full body massage to promote vitality and energy
- Massage into the temples and back of neck for a soothing sensation
- Improves appearance of the skin
- Apply topically to reduce the appearance of blemishes
- Soothing to the skin; promotes a smooth, youthful-looking complexion
- Add one drop to your daily moisturizer to help promote youthful-looking skin
Skin Care Products:
dōTERRA cleansers and moisturizers are the best I have ever used. The Vérage line smells amazing and lasts for several months. I use this system every morning, the HD Clear system at night as at night to reduce appearance of blemishes, and Correct X under my eyes to reduce the appearance of dark circles and wrinkles.
Correct X is a must-have! We keep one tube handy in the bathroom drawer and another in the car or purse.
- Helps soothe while simultaneously hydrating
- Absorbs quickly and is gentle and non-irritating, making it ideal for sensitive skin
- Helps to keep skin looking clean and moisturized
- Keeps skin clean while recovering from distress
- Keep on hand when taking children to playground, sporting events, or camping
The HD Clear Facial Kit comes with foaming face wash, hydrating cream, and HD Clear roller blend.
- Cleanses and purifies the skin
- Provides optimal hydration for a balanced moisture level
- Helps reduce the appearance of blemishes
- Promotes a clear, healthy-looking complexion
- Soothes the irritation of distressed skin
The Vérage Line comes with four products:
- Cleanses, nourishes, and hydrates
- Keeps your skin looking clean and healthy
- Spoil yourself with a personal spa experience every day at home that invigorates and purifies the skin
- Soothes, tones, and promotes healthy-looking skin
- Use to revive and balance your skin, even when your day has left you unbalanced
- Soothes and moisturizes skin
- For touchable, soft skin, use Veráge Immortelle Hydrating Serum
- Erase years off your face; use to promote smoother, more youthful-looking skin
- Hydrates deeply to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Veráge Moisturizer gives your skin an overall glow by improving the overall appearance of the skin
- A gentle moisturizer that promotes healthy, smooth skin at any age
- Apply daily to feel more confident with healthy-looking, smooth skin
- Contains carefully selected ingredients known for their moisturizing properties
- Effective moisturizer
- Provides rich hydration
- Contains fatty acids known for creating the appearance of plump, youthful-looking skin
- Helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, resulting in a smooth, even complexion
I do have some friends and customers who still prefer Vérage’s predecessor, The Essential Skin Care Kit. Since every person’s skin and needs are different, I recommend trying out this line if you’re not thrilled with Vérage.
- A natural clay mask that provides purifying and detoxifying benefits while reducing the appearance of pores, fine lines, and wrinkles
- Infused with Myrrh, Juniper Berry, and Grapefruit essential oils—known for their cleansing and smoothing benefits
- Shea butter provides moisturization and balances the skin
- Malachite extract is rich in copper and provides detoxifying benefits
- Leave mask on for 10 minutes and rinse off with warm water
- Use weekly or as needed to keep skin purified and balanced
- Aa spa-like, two-step process involving a rich blend of essential oils that will have your face feeling clean, rejuvenated, and youthful
- Use once or twice a week, or as needed, morning or night
- Wild Orange and Lime essential oils provide a cleansing and purifying boost to the skin
- Pumpkin Enzyme assists in the exfoliation process without stressing or irritating the skin, removing dead skin cell build up and stimulating cell rejuvenation
If you struggle with skin irritations, itchy or dry skin, or blemishes, I suggest these tried-and-true recipes:
Simple Healing Salve
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons organic beeswax pastilles
- ¼ teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 2 drops Lavender oil and 2 drops Melaleuca oil (you can increase or change out oils in this blend based on need/use)
Directions: On low heat, melt the coconut and olive oil and the beeswax in a double boiler (or use glass jar/measuring cup in a pot of hot water), stirring every few minutes until melted. You want a slow melt (the beeswax takes a bit of time). Remove from heat, let cool slightly and add essential oils. Pour into jars and let cool. Put a paper towel over the jars while cooling and wait to cover with lids until completely cooled down. This is a great salve to keep on hand, and you can add additional oils for specific needs. Makes about 10 oz.
“The Ultimate” Salve
- ½ cup extra-virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons beeswax pastilles
- ½ teaspoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch (to cut greasiness)
- ¾ teaspoon vitamin E
- 15 drops Lavender essential oil
- 15 drops Melaleuca essential oil
- 15 drops Thyme essential oil
- 15 drops Geranium essential oil
- 10 drops Frankincense essential oil
Directions: Combine first four ingredients in a glass jar or measuring cup and place in a pot half-filled with water. Bring water to a boil and stir frequently until ingredients are completely melted. Remove jar from pan and place on a dish towel covered counter. Slowly add arrowroot powder, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Allow mixture to cool enough that you can touch the jar comfortably for at least ten seconds. Add vitamin E and the essential oils and stir. Immediately pour into desired containers and cover with a piece of paper towel so nothing gets into it. Do not disturb for several hours and preferably overnight. Once completely cooled, put lids on and store at room temperature. Makes approximately 8 oz.
DIY Sunscreen (adapted from www.hardlotion.com)
- ½ oz beeswax
- 2 oz shea butter
- 2 oz hazelnut oil
- 10 drops Helichrysum OR Lavender essential oil
- 1 oz zinc oxide
Directions: Melt beeswax, shea butter, and hazelnut oil (for natural SPF) using the double boiler method (Pyrex or glass container with ingredients, sitting in a pot of boiling water until mixture is melted). Remove from heat. Add essential oil. Add zinc oxide to melted mixture and, using a stick blender, blend until all zinc oxide is well-combined. Pour into a glass or plastic container. Sunscreen is ready when solidified.
**Important: clean your equipment while it’s still hot. Immediately wipe everything with paper towels to get rid of the residue as much as possible. Then wash in hot, soapy water with a scrub brush. This is approximately 30 SPF – I wouldn’t add more zinc oxide than the recipe calls for unless you can handle the extra “whiteness” which might be difficult to rub into the skin. Use less zinc oxide for a lower SPF. For more information on sunscreens, visit ewg.org.
If you’re looking for recipes to make more of your own skin care products, check out my blog post “Essential Skin Care.” I’d love to try your favorite recipes, too, so please share if you have great results with any you may try from other blogs, Pinterest, or the dōTERRA Blog.
Taking care of your skin is an important element of health and wellness, and I hope these recommendations and recipes have been helpful. Let me know if you need any help getting these products. If you aren’t already saving 25-55% on all of your skin care needs, I’d love to show you how!